Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DESIGN WALL: How To Make A Portable Design Wall

Something useful from almost nothing... that really appeals to me. I no longer have  a big sewing room; a design wall is needed; what to do?

Solution: Get a stick, board, long dowel, etc.; staple, nail, or duct tape some flannel to the stick and voila! You have a design space.

As you can see in the pic above, this gizmo rolls up nicely. I store mine behind a bedroom door. When I need to use it, it unrolls and lays across the two open doors of the large armoire in my living room. Anything will work... you can even throw part of it over the rod in the bathroom... the one holding your shower curtain! Any place you can find. Think outside the box and have fun.

Because my flannel has been sprayed with 505 a time or two over the years, anything I set on it will hold just fine. Even with the living room fan on high these blocks stay on the flannel! I've been known to hang my portable DW up outside on the patio... blocks do not blow off and it's cooler outside! This also works very well to spray-baste smaller quilts -- you are only limited by the size of your flannel piece.

Don't have time to finish your design process? No problem: just roll it all up with the blocks and so forth still on the flannel. They will be ready for you when you next have time to play with them.

I hope you like this idea and will give it a try. By the way, I've been known to carry mine to classes and retreats. It's super!

Thanks for stopping by to visit. Let's all go sew up something today! I'm working on turning bins of scraps n strips into blocks... what are YOU working on?

LINKING to Connie at Free Motion by the River

Quilty Hugs,

3 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a great idea to use 505 spray on the flannel Cyn! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Cattinka said...

Thanks for this great idea!
KATRIN W.

Elly D said...

Great tut Cyn :) Never thought of using 505 spray. I have a large piece of cotton batting on Lewis' old room wall fixed with pins but the blocks fall off now and then. :)x