Tuesday, September 17, 2013

TRIMMING STRINGS FOR ACCURACY... Paper & Ruler!

The phone book pages were cut precisely at 7 inches square. But after sewing, the block shrunk... just slightly and not evenly... maybe because I was sewing on the diagonal? Don't know, but I changed how I trimmed the blocks:

With paper side up:
* First cut - Use a square ruler and cut along first two paper edges.
* Second cut: Use lines on Ruler for final two cuts.
Yippee... perfect squares! See the second photo below... there's a tiny smidge of fabric sticking out beyond the paper! If I had cut all four sides at the paper's edge, the blocks would be too small and not square.
First cut: at paper's edge
 This is a great use of a Phone Book that otherwise would have been thrown into the recycle bin! If they are gonna throw it on my porch FREE... then I am free to use it however I want! lol
2nd cut: used markings on Ruler!
EDIT: Good idea to recheck the block's size after removing paper and carefully pressing. Thank you, Sheila, for the great tip!

Today is friendship group so I better get packing and ready. Will take some FP, fabric and prep for applique on a DJ block. No carrying of a sewing machine for me today... had a flu shot at doc's yesterday and my left arm feels like it is full of lead!

Thank you for popping in to visit!

Quilty Hugs,

3 comments:

Sheila said...

This is a good idea. Mine are usually a tiny bit larger after I remove the paper and carefully iron the block.

Deb A said...

Good tip Cyn. Hope the arm feels better quickly and have fun at group today. I'm home with a sick one again - at least the girl is less dramatic when she is sick!

beaquilter said...

I had this problem too and always trim after the fact and often the paper or foundation is not straight anymore..... hmm you make me want to start a string project.... I'm in the middle of star FPP blocks, so maybe after these are done.... we'll see